||Mdm R Parvathy
|Level Head (Science)
||Mdm Seow Guat Leng
|Subject Head (Environmental Science)
||Mr Vincent Lee
Confident Learners, Active Inquirers
- Having a strong focus on process and thinking skills.
- Stimulating curiosity and inculcating responsibility to the environment.
Innovators @ Rosyth School
- Provide students with experiences which build on their interest in and stimulate their curiosity about their environment
- Provide students with basic scientific terms and concepts to help them understand themselves and the world around them
- Provide students opportunities to develop skills, habits of mind and attitudes necessary for scientific inquiry
- Prepare students towards using scientific knowledge and methods in making personal decisions
- Help students appreciate how science influences people and the environment
4 BELIEFS OF THE SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
1. Student – Centricity:
We have adopted the 5-E Inquiry Approach to able our students to acquire knowledge and understanding of their natural and physical world based on investigations, apply the skills and processes of inquiry and develop attitudes and values that are essential to the practice of science.
||Object, event or question used to engage students.
Connections facilitated between what students know and can do.
||Objects and phenomena are explored.
Hands-on activities, with guidance.
||Students explain their understanding concepts & processes. New concepts and skills are introduced as conceptual clarity and cohesion are sought.
||Activities allow students to apply concepts in contexts, and build on or extend understanding and skill.
||Students assess their knowledge, skills and abilities.
Activities permit evaluation of student development & lesson effectiveness.
2. Helping Every Child learn Science:
We have differentiated approach for each topic (Challenge-Enrich –Support) and we have produced our own activity books to tailor to the needs of our students.
In addition we have differentiated programmes to challenge, enrich and support our students in science learning.
|E2 K Programme
|Applied Learning Programme (ALP)
Sony Creative Toy Challenge
VIA in Science
3. Holistic Education
We collaborate with other departments in the school to enrich students’ learning.
4. Instill values through Science
We have garnered partnerships with other organizations to help students appreciate how science influences people and the environment
||P5 Learning Journey to NEWater Visitors’ Centre
Adoption of Waterway at Bishan-AMK Park
World Water Day
||P6 Learning Journey to Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum
||Waste Minimisation and Recycling
||P4 Learning Journey to Bishan-AMK Park
P3 Every Child a Seed Programme
Community in Blossom
||School Green Award (SGA)
P4 Learning Journey to Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park
Rice Sustainable Programme (ALP)
P5 Learning Journey to NEWater Visitors’ Centre
P6 Learning Journey to Lee Kong Chien Natural History Museum (LKCNHM)